Chia seeds have been around for a very long time, but despite that, many people still haven’t heard about them. They were first mentioned by the Aztecs as a food used as medicine and as a part of religious ceremonies.
The seed is packed with omega-3 fatty acids as well as protein, fibre, minerals, antioxidants and vitamins. They do miracles when it comes to skin regeneration, burning fat, aiding digestion and strengthening the body.
The consumption of chia seeds is recommended by nutritionists in the case of low energy levels and a weak body. This is why the seeds are commonly used and widely popular among athletes.
The chia seed contains 37% nutritional fibres which boost the work of the intestines, meaning that chia seed-based diets are ideal colon cancer prevention.
Down below is a list of our top-pick reasons to consume chia seed on daily basis:
- It’s gluten-free
- It can be used as an egg-replacement. Simply mix the seed with water to create a gel and add it to recipes.
- Chia seed has a high fibre concentration which makes it great for treating digestive issues.
- Due to its 20% of Omega-3 fatty acids content, it is one of the best foods for maintaining proper brain and heart health.
- It contains 20% protein.
- Supports nail, skin and hair health.
- Chia seed contain 3 times more iron than spinach.
- They contain 4 times more antioxidants than blueberries.
- They contain 7 times more vitamin C than oranges.
- They regulate glucose levels in the blood, meaning that they’re great for diabetics.
- Chia seed contain 8 types of amino acids.
- Chia seed contain 5 times more calcium than milk.
- They contain twice more potassium than bananas do.
According to medical experts, you should take one tablespoon of chia seeds per day. The seeds are extremely rich in fibre, so make sure you consume a lot of water as well. They have a pleasant smell and taste, so you can combine them with smoothies or salads, or even add them to dough for muffins and bread.
The seeds can also be soaked in water for 15 minutes, which will cause them to grow in size 20 times bigger than their original. They’re guaranteed to keep you full for a longer period of time.
Also if you want to prepare a delicious treat, mix them with almonds, pineapples or coconut oil.